Ontario is one of several Canadian provinces that experiences four distinct seasons and varying weather patterns throughout the year. From the long, colder winters to the hot, humid summers and everything in between, sometimes we just need a little escape from the outside world. The solution? A four-season bathroom that doubles as your personal sanctuary. Imagine spa-like features, aromatherapy, and cozy amenities, all year round.
In this article, we explore some of the top luxury bathroom renovation ideas that are perfect no matter what Mother Nature is serving.
How to Design a Bathroom Fit for Cold Winter Days
Winter in the GTA brings sub-zero temperatures and wind chills throughout the season. This can cause pipes to freeze and certain materials to crack and warp if they aren’t suitable for cold weather. Here are some tips to help you avoid some of the most common bathroom renovation challenges in the winter.
- Insulate your pipes and drains. More a necessity than a luxury, pipe insulation can help maintain warmth in your bathroom while preventing pipes from freezing during frigid temperatures. Drains should also be insulated to prevent mid-winter catastrophes.
- Opt for special heating systems. Maintain a warm and cozy atmosphere in your bathroom by installing bathroom-safe heaters and infrared heat lamp bulbs. These can be used to pre-heat the room before preparing for the day ahead or to keep you warm and toasty after a hot shower or relaxing soak.
- Install heated flooring and heated towel racks. Create an oasis with radiant heated flooring and heated towel racks or bars, depending on your design preference, for your next bathroom renovation.
- Choose spa-like amenities. Winter weather is the perfect invitation to unwind in a home spa complete with a soaker tub, sauna, and steam shower. Adding spa-like touches such as candles, a sound system, and fuzzy bathrobes and slippers will enhance the experience.
- Install a fireplaces in the bathroom. Yes, a bathroom fireplace can be an excellent source of heat during those long winter soaks while also creating a relaxing and romantic ambiance. Electric and gas fireplaces specially designed for bathrooms are available by professional installers.
- Choose cold-resistant materials. Porcelain tiles and stone vanities can help retain the heat within the bathroom while protecting your fixtures and pipes from cold temperatures.
How to Design a Bathroom Fit for Hot, Humid Summer Days
You could argue that summer in the GTA is never long enough, but one thing is for sure: they are often hot, and humid. This increases the humidity and moisture in your home, specifically in your bathroom where steam is prevalent. Avoid the most common bathroom renovation challenges in the summer by following these tips.
- Use ceiling fans or exhaust vents to improve air circulation. This is especially important in smaller bathrooms or those without windows as air can become stagnant without proper circulation. Both ceiling fans or exhaust vents can reduce the risk mould spores developing and can also help cool down a hot and humid bathroom. Exhaust fans should be left on for 30 minutes after a hot shower.
- Install windows that open. While this isn’t always a feasible option, if you are doing a full bathroom renovation, look into whether you can install a window in the space. Opening a window before or after a hot shower can help reduce moisture build-up in the bathroom and let in the fresh summer breeze.
- Choose moisture-resistant materials. Mould-resistant drywall, mildew-resistant grout, and inorganic materials such as stone, porcelain, and ceramic can withstand moisture that causes deterioration.
- Seal fixtures to prevent water leaks. New and existing fixtures require durable silicone-based bathroom-grade caulking to prevent damage from potential water leaks. Leaking pipes provide moisture that escapes into the warm bathroom air in the summer leading to condensation and the risk of mould and mildew.
- Add some plants to reduce humidity. Did you know that various plant species work as natural dehumidifiers, such as aloe vera, English ivy, and peace lilies? As the humidity is absorbed by the pants, the air temperature drops and the air quality improves.
Ideas for the Rest of the Year
The bathroom is one of the most used spaces in a home—it’s about time it got the TLC it deserves. Check out these luxurious ideas that are perfect for all-year-round indulgence.
- Opt for a soaker tub. A soaker bathtub will enhance your relaxation because they are not only aesthetically pleasing but they are also functional and comfortable. Uniquely designed, these tubs allow for the entire body to be submerged for a more enjoyable bath time.
- Install luxury mirrors with lights. Custom mirrors are available with built-in storage, integrated lighting, built-in magnifiers, defoggers, dimmers, and nightlights. Add to the overall theme and ambiance of the bathroom with various shapes, colours, and finishes to choose from.
- Build ample storage solutions. This will help make your spring cleaning easier while providing a neat and tidy bathroom, regardless of the size of the room. Use shelving, cabinets, hooks, and space-saving compartments for towels, toiletries, and personal grooming supplies.
- Take a eucalyptus steam shower. An efficient and easy way to combat flu season, using eucalyptus in the shower provides antimicrobial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties to relieve respiratory issues. The benefits can be seen with essential oils, soaps, tub pucks, and shower bombs.
Considering a Bathroom Renovation? Talk to the Team at Lampert Renovations!
For assistance with your bathroom renovation, talk to the experts at Lampert Renovations. We have been providing luxurious bathroom renovations for more than 45 years and have been in the plumbing business for 100 years!
We offer a two-year warranty on all workmanship with a one-year warranty on all silicone and grout work. Our certified experts provide 100% customer satisfaction with top-quality craftsmanship.